I suggest you ...

allow for batch import of climbs from other sources (excel spreadsheet and ukclimbing.co.uk)

24 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris LockyerChris Lockyer commented  · 

I've tried following this advice: http://27crags.com/climbers/patrikj/blog but cant seem to get it to work. I have no idea what field to paste the HTML into and the one's that i have tried dont work. Copying the ascents from 8a.nu to a spreadsheet doesnt seem to be a quick process either, I would love to change to 27crags but dont want to spend weeks transferring all my ascents.
        Does anyone have any ideas?

• Markus BengtsAdminMarkus Bengts (Admin, 27 Crags) commented  · 

My interpretation of the UKC terms is that users own the copyright to their own list of ascents so they can copy it even though it "may be retained as the property of UKClimbing Limited" according to the terms. I don't think UKC has a problem with users trying another tick list service. Most UKC users are interested in the UKC forums and news anyway.

We have gone through the import with a lawyer and we have not found any legal issues with it. Our users are allowed to copy their own ascents only and we have never copied anyone else's data to 27 Crags without their permission even though you may get a different impression from the people who run another competing website (not UKC).

• Mateusz LoskotMateusz Loskot commented  · 

YANAL, but before implementing any kind of batch import from UKC, someone could confirm if the UKC Terms of Service allow such operations. AFAIU, there is potential for issues:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/general/terms.html

2.2 You are entitled to access, download and transmit (for the purposes expressly permitted in these User Terms) and store the UKClimbing Limited Material for your own personal, non-commercial use provided that you do not:

2.2.2 modify, translate, reverse engineer, reproduce, decompile, disassemble (except as expressly permitted by law) or create derivative works of any of the UKClimbing Limited Material;

• KieranKieran commented  · 

Planned!! Hooray! This would make me consider switching over.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Any new on this? A spreadsheet import would be very useful!

• FabianFabian commented  · 

Yeah, would be great to be able to import from 8a.nu

• Fredrik EckardtFredrik Eckardt commented  · 

This would be really great. During the last 2 weeks I have been transfering 8 years of climbs from 8a.nu manually. This takes a lot of time and is super booring. I think the lack of this function stop many potential users to change from 8a or other sites.

Feedback and Knowledge Base